So, I found these vegan marshmallows in Whole Foods this week.
I was really excited, because I’m, you know, five years old. I have actually never seen vegan marshmallows in a non-kosher grocery before (and even they sometimes use fish gelatin as a kosher alternative), so this blew my mind. They were $7 a bag, but you know, if you like marshmallows, totally worth it. They’re all-natural, too, so they’re worth checking out even if you’re not vegetarian. You can find them online here: http://www.chicagoveganfoods.com/dandies_vegan_marshmallows/
I wanted to do something fun with the marshmallows, and make my coffee more interesting. Solution: add chocolate, and stir.
The steps are really easy, and really rewarding:
1) Either buy chocolate syrup and heat in microwave OR make chocolate syrup (heat 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup vegan cocoa powder in a sauce pan for a minute on medium-high, then slowly add 1/2 cup of water. Lower heat to medium, stir constantly for 8 minutes or until it thickens. Remove from heat).
2) Make a cup of regular coffee in a french press or machine.
3) Heat 1/2 cup soy milk in microwave for two minutes. Froth it manually with a spoon or special frothing device, or blend for two minutes.
4) Pour coffee. Add teaspoon hot chocolate syrup, stir thoroughly. Add warm frothy milk, stir.
5) Add anything else (I topped mine with a dash of vanilla and cinnamon. Also marshmallows.) Then relax and enjoy.